Thursday, January 6, 2022

DC, the Wood Thrush and Democracy


On 1/6/2021, I was in Rock Creek Park, DC, birdwatching. There was nobody around and I was trying to clear my head, listening for birds. And then the phone began buzzing. The silence of the woods was broken by way-more-than-usual levels of helicopter activity, and incessant, far-off sirens. My wife texted me to head home now, but I was already on the way.

On 1/6/2022, I was in Rock Creek Park, DC, birdwatching. There was nobody around, and the snow was slushy. DC's official bird, this wood thrush, was singing and strutting. All was quiet except for its song and my crunchy footsteps. I took my time and enjoyed its song and watching it flutter through the winter woods, far longer than usual.

May all future Januarys in this town be as peaceful as today. On 1/6/2025, I hope to be in Rock Creek Park, DC, birdwatching. I hope dearly it is a calm, uneventful day.

Endless respect for those many officers who fought to defended the Capitol, Americans' elected officials, and democracy itself -- as corny as that may sound. 

No comments:

Post a Comment