Monday, May 23, 2011

A Wine to Celebrate One Year of Love

2008 Belle Glos Pinot Noir Taylor Lane Vineyard (USA, California, Sonoma Coast)


I popped this bottle to celebrate my first anniversary with my girlfriend. I opened it three hours before she got there. Right out of the glass, the color is dark purple, but not opaque. It retains that kind of murky pinot color. Sexy legs in the glass. Aromas of plums, prunes, cinnamon, clove and sweet cherries. I can't help it. I just love this nose. It demonstrates everything I love about Sonoma Coast pinot noirs. Very different on the palate. It's medium bodied and very spice driven. The streak of acid from the first taste to the finish is exquisite. Loads of cranberry, cherries, backed up by tobacco and peppercorn. The tannins are soft, almost to the point of being creamy. The mouthfeel isn't "like velvet," it is velvet. There's a dose of chocolate-covered cherries on the finish, along with soft toast and mocha. Delicious. This is a bomb of a wine, but it's by no means offensive to the palate. It goes down so smoothly. It reminds me a lot of the 08 Kosta Brown Sonoma Coast I had recently. But this was half the price. For fans of this creamy, rich style, seek this wine out. I know a lot of people love to hate this style of pinot, but let the haters hate. This wine is delicious.


91 points - IJB

No comments:

Post a Comment