Sunday, April 29, 2012

A 2002 Red Burgundy

Ten years from vintage is a good time to taste red Burgundy. Obviously different vintages show differently, buy it seems that ten years of age will provide a good amount of insight into a the character and personality of a red Burgundy.

Well, it was a rainy day and I needed to do some writing, so I figured I'd pop a 2002 Burg and see what was going on...

I don't have a ton of experience with the 2002 vintage of red Burgundy, but I do remember tasting a lot of them when they first came out. I was just 21, and The Man finally allowed me to legally purchase wine, when some 2002s were still sitting on the shelves. I went to a lot of retailer tastings and tastings with more experience Burg-heads, and I was taken by the mystique of 2002 red Burgundy. I didn't have much money at the time (nor do I now), so I didn't buy many bottles, but the 2002 vintage has a place in my heart.

So yesterday I opened a 2002 Domaine Arnoux Pére et Fils Savigny-lès-Beaune Les Peuillets.

It was clear cherry colored in the glass, with just a bit of brick around the rims. It took at least an hour for the savory aromas of red meat, dried roses and damp earth to come out. Then - wait, what’s this? Some sweet cherries? - Yes, some fresh fruit. Just a hint of strawberries as well. Even after four hours open, I could tell there was still a lot of aromatic power that wasn't ready to come out. I’d love to revisit this wine again in five more years.

Initially, the palate sensation was similar to chewing on grape stems: dark, gritty and green. It smoothed out with two hours+ and the tannins focused. Over the course of a few hours in the decanter the wine completely changed to show soft cherries, chewing tobacco, and cranberry flavors. This is definitely a more traditional Burgundy, with strong acid, dusty-firm tannins, and a finish of beef broth and savory spices.

89 points IJB

I think I need to drink more 2002 red Burgundy. If you've had one, I'd love to hear your impressions.

No comments:

Post a Comment