Thursday, December 5, 2013

1998 Juliette Avril Châteauneuf-du-Pape Cuvée Du Majoral

I’d never heard of Domaine Juliette Avril before, but I was surprised by the youthfulness of this 1998 Chateauneuf. I tasted this bottle blind, by accident, because I actually thought it was a sample. Turned out to be a beautiful wine, but one with a long life ahead of it.

1998 Domaine Juliette Avril Châteauneuf-du-Pape Cuvée Du Majoral - France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Châteauneuf-du-Pape

Aromas of black cherries, raspberries, coffee, rose hips. Tight at first, but after an hour it started showing more. Firm and gritty tannins, fresh acid, but still very young and compact. The black cherry and plum fruit is full and dense, still needing time to smooth out. Charcoal, some black olives, coffee at first. After three hours, I started getting some chewing tobacco, seaweed and peppery notes. I wish I would’ve held onto this for five more years, because this is still very firm. I drank this with three friends, so this bottle didn’t last the night. I wish I would’ve left some in the bottle for a day or two just to see what happens. A lesson in the long-lasting capability of the 1998 vintage

(90 points)
$27 at auction

No comments:

Post a Comment