Thursday, December 18, 2014

Klingon Blood: Star Trek Wine Is Actually Pretty Good

Ah, wine label gimmicks. 

I recently praised some wine labels as visual art, and now this comes along. Klingon Blood wine!

I have to confess, I’m not a Trekkie, I don’t speak Klingon and I can’t remember watching any of the various Star Trek incarnations. So, I guess I’m not the target audience.

Even though I occasionally buy wine based on the label, the juice inside is what counts. And this stuff is actually pretty good. 


2012 Star Trek Klingon Bloodwine
California, Central Coast, Paso Robles
A bright magenta color. Bursting with ripe fruits on the nose (blackberries, blueberries, plums and raisins), some sweet lavender, vanilla and mocha. 


On the palate, medium tannins, actually some moderate acid, this wine has a juicy and chewy feel to it, but at 13% alcohol it’s not overwhelming. Lots of blackberry, roasted figs, blueberry pie, dashed with earth, coffee, some black pepper. I get some mocha and red licorice, along with dusty-peppery elements on the finish.

I wasn’t expecting much, but I’m surprised by the structure and complexity of this wine. A unique blend of 37% Malbec, 37% Syrah and 26% Petit Verdot.

Paso Robles is known for producing burly, teeth-staining reds, but this one takes a more subtle approach. I could see pairing this wine with a lot of hearty winter fare, but its light enough to drink with barbecue or roast chicken and veggies.

Gimmick wines frequently contain yummy but uninteresting juice. This one made me stop and think, just a little bit. Fancy that.

The wine is
available now for $20 from Vinport, and may soon make the trek to a retailer near you. I'm not saying you should go and buy this, but I've spent $20 on far less exciting wines. 

Of course, we love wine because it brings us together with others. So, if you're a Star Trek fan, and your Star Trek friends enjoy wine, you should purchase this wine immediately.

Hey, when is the Star Wars Darth Maul-bec coming out?

No comments:

Post a Comment